Chartered Building Surveyors

Structural Engineering Consultants


     Regulated by RICS


         Tel:      0118 979 0313

Party Wall Matters

Party Wall Matters

Party Wall Surveyors, Daniels & Associates provide technical party wall advice to building owners or adjoining owners and have been dealing with party wall matters since The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (The ‘Act’) came into force in July 1997.  Our principal building surveyor is a member of the Pyramus & Thisbe Club, the pre-eminent organisation for Party Wall specialists and his experience allows us to provide a high standard of advice concerning the many aspects of the Act, the wording of which is often considered quite ambiguous.

If you are intending to undertake building work such as an extension, or the construction of a new house, involving excavation works within 3m of any of your neighbour’s buildings or structures (or even within 6m if piling is involved) then the Party Wall etc. Act may well apply, even though no party walls are involved.  The Act also applies to various types of work that may be undertaken directly to an existing wall or floor which is shared in common with a neighbouring owner, as well as to new building at, or astride, the boundary line between properties. 

Following a ‘no obligation’ preliminary discussion to establish the works proposed, we can advise Building Owners on all the rights they need to acquire under the Act, prepare and serve the relevant notices on their behalf, advise Adjoining Owners on their rights and prepare Party Wall Awards and Schedules of Condition.

Further guidance on the Party Wall etc. Act and how it may affect someone who either wishes to undertake work covered by the Act (the ‘Building Owner’) or receives notification under the Act of proposed adjacent work (the ‘Adjoining Owner’) can be obtained from the clear and impartial guide to party walls produced by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to which a link is provided alongside.

RICS Party Wall Consumer Guide click here